Sunday 15 January 2012

5 Things: L.A. Confidential

It’s been a bit of a while since I did one of these. But, much like Dale Winton, you can’t keep me off the airwaves too long. I should probably stop making obscure references only English people will know, me promoting an international forum here. In my head, anyway. Quick check on the Spotify: one of my favourite bands right now, Kasabian. ‘Let’s Roll Just Like We Used To’ is the song’; ‘Velociraptor!’ is the album; listen to it. An educated recommendation right there.

But this isn’t about my love for Kasabian (will be one day, I’m sure!) – on to the meat of the post!


*****

5 THINGS: L.A. CONFIDENTIAL


So whilst watching L.A. Confidential (directed by Curtis Hanson in 1997), I realised a few things:

I WON’T EVER HATE KEVIN SPACEY

It is physically impossible to hate Kevin Spacey! I’ve seen a lot of Kevin Spacey films. I think I’ve liked most of them, and I think I’ve loved Spacey in all of them. He’s one of those actors who, despite the strength of the film itself, always seems to give a fantastic performance. Before L.A Confidential, he’d already done The Usual Suspects, Glengarry Glen Ross and Se7en, stealing the show in all of them. Steals the show in this film too, obviously, as ‘celebrity crimefighter’ Officer Vincenne.

There is a magnetism to him that you can’t help but be drawn to. However shit a film (see: Superman Returns), however small his role (see: Men Who Stare At Goats), however restricted his performance (see: Moon), the guy is fucking great. And long may he continue.

I WON’T EVER LIKE RUSSELL CROWE

Okay, there may be polarising reactions here. Off the bat, let me say that I don’t think he’s a bad actor. Old Russell has been in some huge films, and held his own, and fair play to the man. I shed a tear during A Beautiful Mind, I’m not ashamed to admit.

But god, I don’t like him.

I’m trying to work out where this dislike started from, and I can’t really pinpoint it. All I know is that I get a little frustrated when I see him act. It seems like every role is exactly the same as the last. Same fragile, broken soul, but look! Now he’s in Rome! Wait, no, that’s Nottingham! Oh, look, it’s 1950’s Hollywood. Still the same broken man. He’s like a Barbie Doll. Same basic model, repackaged in shiny new clothes and a new prop. He isn’t bad in L.A. Confidential – it was his first major Hollywood movie and propelled him to superstardom – but the more things have changed for him, the more they’ve stayed the same.

I’VE NEVER SEEN KIM BASINGER ACT...

And I won’t cry if I never do again.

GUY PEARCE - DORIAN GRAY?

Trust me, this makes sense. L.A. Confidential came out in 1997. The next standout Pearce move in my mind is Memento. 2000. Then, Factory Girl – 2006. The Hurt Locker – 2008. The King’s Speech – 2010. A thirteen year span of movies and the bastard has only aged five!

Compare him to actors like Nic Cage (wrinkly as fuck), John Travolta (a progressively fattening face) and even Johnny Depp (still looks great, but you can see the age), and Guy Pearce remains as youthful now as he did when he starred in L.A. Confidential. Guy Pearce, I name thee Dorian Gray.

TWO OSCARS?

This movie isn’t awful. But this movie is also not incredible and Oscar-worthy, in my opinion. There were a couple of brilliant performances (Spacey and Pearce), but the film as a whole didn’t appeal to me. When I watch a period film, I like to get immersed into it, to feel like I was there. But here, it seemed almost deliberately disengaging. I wasn’t watching 50s Hollywood, I was watching a 50s Hollywood film. The overly clear skies, the strikingly bright sun, the glitz and the colour, it just seemed too artificial. Perhaps that was the point, I dunno, but I didn’t like it.

There is stuff to like. The performances, as I say, and an honourable mention needs to be given to Danny DeVito. As a police procedural thriller too, it’s fun, but I don’t think it did enough to warrant TWO Academy awards. Especially not a Supporting Actress one for Kim Basinger. Could have given one to Spacey. Or Pearce. Maybe DeVito, even. Not Basinger.

Good film, great performances. No Oscars, sorry.

*****


And so ends another fun blog post to write, and hopefully fun to read. This ‘5 Things…’ gimmick might be something I come back to. For now, I’m going to sign off and get back to my exhilirating Sunday afternoon. ‘Step Into My Office, Baby’ by Belle & Sebastian, a fantastic band. Another recommendation, another rambling outro from me.

K’bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment