Sunday 1 January 2012

Pilot.

The voices inside my head gave me two choices. Find and destroy Peaches Geldof once and for all, or start a blog. After failing to find the relevant Peaches on the Yellow Pages website, I present this to you:

My blog.

Right now, I’m listening to 'I’m Crying' by The Animals. You don’t need to know that, but it builds ambience, possibly.

Okay, why write a blog, Jaf? I don’t really know. What do you have to say, Jaf? I don’t really know. What will you talk about, Jaf? I don’t r- well, you get the idea. So after some careful deliberation, I’ve decided on this:

Some detail might be required here. Right. I’ve been accepted into the New York Film Academy for a short three-month course in September (Woah! Amazing! That’s great! Yada yada…). All well and good, except, well, it requires money. Money that I, quite frankly, don’t have. Money I’ve never ever had. But that will have to change for this purpose – to be able to go to New York for three months, live there, sort of study there, and just…be there. Living in New York has been a long-time dream of mine; the course is simply an excuse to get there. I’m twenty-four, taking considerable interest in that Michael Parkinson pension shit, and wanting to fulfil this dream as soon as possible. Or, more specifically, now. I have a Job™ (barely, as some of you will be fondly aware of), and I aim to take advantage of this Job™ for financial gain, and do whatever else is necessary to get there. Because I will go to New York in September, and it’s gonna be fucking great.

So the main objective, so to speak, of this little ditty will be to document my journey from the East End of London to the the New York Film Academy. I’ll put regular updates on how it's all going, to give me – and you – an idea of how well I’m doing. Obviously, this isn’t a blog designed to mimic the harsh realities of the British economy (though I do feel clever saying that); along the way, I’ll probably talk about other shit. I’m always looking to start and develop writing projects, so I’ll probably fill you in on that. I watch a lot of movies, theatre occasionally, listen to a lot of music, so expect reviews and whatnot. Perhaps the occasional anecdote, if my life decides to become exciting enough. Gotta pad this thing out somehow.

So, to get things rolling, here is what the Natwest website tells me I have in my account at this precise second:

-£250.65

No, it’s not a typo, for the record. That, there, is a minus sign. Only an estimated four grand left. Easy...

And so, on this slightly anticlimactic note, I bid farewell. If you’ve read this far, I can only question your sanity, and the extent of your social life. But I also thank you, and will now leave you to enjoy the rest of whatever it was you were doing before I arrived.

Just to close out, I’ll let you know that I’m now listening to ‘Heartbeats’ by The Knife. The beauty of the iTunes shuffle.

And well, um, yeah. Bye.

*****


Oh, and fuck, yeah. Follow me! You won’t get any insightful or earth-shattering information in return for your following, but I’ve heard all the cool kids do it.

Facebook: Jafar Iqbal (my name)
Twitter: Jafar_Iqbal (my name with an underscore in it)
Email: jafar.iqbal@hotmail.co.uk (my name with a full stop in it)

Any suggestions for other ways I can put stuff in my name for the purpose of social networking would be duly welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment