Monday 23 January 2012

J. Edgar.

Spotify? ‘Dani California’ by Red Hot Chili Peppers.
LoveFilm?
Mad Max 2 is sitting in front of the TV.
On my desk? The newest issue of
Empire Magazine.

Now for the main course!


*****


J. Edgar Hoover is a name I know and recognise very well, but I didn’t actually know why he was so recognised. Something to do with America, yeah, but that was about it. Turns out he did a helluva lot!

And that’s what the film is about. It’s basically Hoover (Leonardo DiCaprio) looking back on his life and career; mainly, two important things. One, the fact that he created the FBI as we know it today and made it (and himself) a powerful American entity. And two, the fact that he never got married and had a very close relationship with his right hand man, Clyde Tolson. It’s whether Hoover should be revered or ridiculed for what he did in life that director Clint Eastwood focuses the movie on.


I name-dropped two pretty important people there. DiCaprio and Eastwood. Powerhouses. Don’t know about you, but that’s bloody mouth-watering for me. Easily a recipe for success, but only one of them really succeeds; that one being DiCaprio. I like watching Leo act. Actually, I love it. He is without doubt one of the best actors of this generation, and I can’t remember a performance of his I didn’t like. And you can safely add J. Edgar to that list. Whether playing Edgar right at the end of his life, or in his very early days, DiCaprio is incredible. It’s the briefest of expressions he makes that are so fascinating to watch, emphasising Hoover’s insecurities perfectly. We see Edgar making bold and sometimes unfavourable decisions as head of the FBI, but DiCaprio manages to keep Hoover the hero, not villain, in our eyes.

I really do think he’s let down though. The film, as a whole, is lacklustre. It’s not terrible; I’d say it’s a good film. But, other than DiCaprio anchoring the film, there really isn’t much else. I’d go as far as to say that it was quite dull at certain points, and probably should have ended twenty minutes before it did. Eastwood is usually really good at making all his lead characters stand out, but he only gets it right with Armie Hammer this time. Hammer is brilliant as Tolson, and he has a genuine romantic chemistry with DiCaprio. Naomi Watts and Judi Dench are wasted, though, especially considering how important they are to the story. It almost feels like, had it not been for DiCaprio, the movie wouldn’t be as enjoyable as it is.


But then you have to ask: is one great performance enough to justify an entire film? A few films have come out recently like that. Everyone loved Meryl Streep as Thatcher in The Iron Lady, but not really the film itself. Madonna’s new film W.E. has been getting some very very awful reviews, but lead actress Andrea Riseborough is getting very very good ones. And I think J. Edgar falls into that category. I don’t really think the film as a whole is worth spending money on, but DiCaprio’s performance does need to be seen. Do you see him do his thing in the cinema, or do you wait for the DVD? I really don’t know. If you’ve got spare cash, go. You probably won’t be disappointed.

*****

On Spotify now? ‘Read My Mind’ by The Killers.
What happened next? I think I’m gonna stick
Mad Max on.

You can follow me on Twitter (@writeofcentre), and you can follow me here too! I say interesting things. Occasionally.

Right, I’m gone. Laters.


No comments:

Post a Comment